Top Ten Music Videos of 2008
Though there is no cultural center of music video exhibition anymore (MTV’s venerable Total Request Live closed up shop this year), the music video as a form is alive and well. You just have to seek them out on YouTube. The following are my favorites from the last year:
10) Justice, “Stress”: It’s a manic song from French dance genius Justice, and it’s a suitably manic video.
9) Radiohead, “House of Cards”: This video was made not with lights, but lasers!
8) Britney Spears, “Circus”: After a string of misfire videos, Brit Brit returns to form with this stylistically cohesive, energetic video.
7) Bjork, “Wanderlust”: Bjork is crazy. Nothing new there. But this Where the Wild Things Are-esque video is her strangest video yet.
6) Vampire Weekend, “Oxford Comma”: It’s a total Wes Anderson knockoff, but I’m okay with that!
5) M83, “Kim and Jessie”: Not to be confused with that abysmal sitcom “Kath and Kim”…
4) Weezer, “Pork and Beans”: A fitting homage to the short history of viral video sensations.
3) Kanye West, “Heartless”: Kanye sure does love his Pop Art!
2) Beyonce, “Single Ladies”: This is how dance videos should look. And that metallic hand!
1) Sam Amidon, “Saro”: Repurposed archival and vintage American footage creates the perfect visual landscape to this deeply evocative song.